GENERAL JOB SUMMARY:
The Hospital Chaplain provides emotional and spiritual support to patients, families and employees. The chaplains are committed to respect the dignity and faith tradition of each individual, and to guide and direct the spiritual climate of the institution. They base their pastoral care ministry on an inclusive basis, open to persons of all faiths or no faith. The chaplains also facilitate communication between patients and their faith communities.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides pastoral care services to patients in various situations such as undergoing surgical procedures, facing end of life issues or involved in traumatic accidents.
2. Provides comfort and support to patients’ families and friends.
3. Provides calming support to angry/distraught family members and friends.
4. Responds to urgent situations, including, but not limited to, medical emergencies or death(s) at the request of Administrative coordinators, nurses, family etc.
5. Maintains confidentiality of all patient medical and personal information, including condition.
6. Works with individuals from diverse economic, cultural, racial and religious backgrounds.
7. Works with hospital staff to enhance their sensitivity to the spiritual concerns of patients/families experiencing terminal illness and loss.
8. Conducts religious services in the hospital chapel.
9. Assumes personal accountability for the hospital’s mission, vision and core values.
10. Other tasks may be assigned as needed.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s Degree in Religion/Theology or equivalent degree required
• Qualification in a Psychological related field
• Certification in Counselling
• Certification in Chaplaincy (preferably two (2) units of Clinical Pastoral Education)
• Trained Pastor or Ordained Elder
• At least 2 years Chaplaincy experience preferred
• Experience in a Hospital setting an asset
• Supervisory Management Qualifications an asset
• Be knowledgeable of and committed to the philosophy, principles and mission of the Seventh-day Adventist Church.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
• Computer skills with knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Good analytical and organizational Skills
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong leadership skills
• Good team player
• Good listening skills
• Possess excellent counselling techniques
• Excellent presentation skills
• Able to work independently
Applications along with resume should be sent by Monday, September 2, 2019 to
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Or electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org with the applicable Job Title in the subject line.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.