Andrews Memorial Hospital pharmacy provides a diverse outlook in the field of pharmacy. We serve the medication needs of both hospitalized (in-patient) and ambulatory (out-patient) patients, as well as the general pharmaceutical stock needs of the entire hospital. As a result, excellent interdepartmental collaboration plays an integral role in our operations. The Pharmacist is responsible for the preparation and verification of all medication orders for both hospitalized and ambulatory patients. This individual also provides counseling and medication advice for both patients and physicians. Also incorporated into this post is a diverse range of compounding and reconstitution of medications, checking of patients’ vitals and other health promotional activities. Paramount to the completion of these tasks is an excellent customer service skill.
Principal Duties and Job Responsibilities
Demonstrates through behaviour AMH’s core values of Quality, Integrity, Compassion, Collaboration, and Commitment
The Pharmacist is required to perform the following:
- Prepare medicine prescription for clients.
- Compounding and dispensation of medications following prescriptions issued by appropriate health care professional once the need arises.
- Assist patients / clients in obtaining drugs not available at this pharmacy.
- Calculate the cost of medicine.
- Advise doctors on the appropriate choice of drugs for specific patients.
- Educate and advise patients / clients on the effective use of medicines and other health products.
- Disseminate drug information to Doctors, staff and patients / clients to include but not limited to drug interactions, side effect profiles, dosage etc.
- Keep proper record of medication treatment.
- Assist in managing the pharmacy inventory and rotates stocks.
- Assist with the training, orientation, and supervision of pharmacy staff (when needed).
- Assist with the training of health professionals on the use of pharmaceutical products.
- Liaise with other health professionals in the community in order to address the needs of patients.
- Assist with the training of pharmacy students.
- Attend and participate in seminars and conventions for continuing education.
- Ensure proper storage conditions of drugs i.e. proper temperature, security etc.
- Maintain confidentiality of all patient information.
- Strive to work as a team and keep on good terms with co-workers, greets customers properly.
- Support and adhere to administrative policies and procedures.
- Uphold and maintain the standards of the pharmacy profession.
- Advise customers on the selection of medication brands, medical equipment and health-care supplies
- Offer health promotion and prevention activities for examples training patients on the proper use of devices such as blood pressure or diabetes monitors
- Checks and assists in the preparation of ward stocks
- Ability to work in both in-patient and ambulatory (out-patient) setting at the same time (when required)
- Assists with monthly visits to the wards to check on medications to include availability and expiration date
- Any other duties and specific work projects which may be assigned from time to time.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy or higher
- At least one (1) year relevant working experience.
- Proficient with the Computer (MSExcel, MSWord and the Internet)
- Must be registered with the Pharmacy Council of Jamaica
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Ability to multi-task
- Exceptional Customer Service skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Meticulous, detailed, well-organized and able to work independently to meet deadlines.
- Tactful and discrete when dealing with people and confidential information
- Excellent time management skills.
- Great team player
Applications along with resume should be sent by Friday, April 24, 2020 to
Human Resource Director
Andrews Memorial Hospital Ltd.
27 Hope Road, Kingston 10
Or electronically to email@example.com with the applicable Job Title in the subject line.
Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.